Bigstone Health Commission provides essential services and we want to maintain services as much as possible during this time. Below is the program and services update for the communities of Bigstone Cree Nation including Calling Lake, Sandy Lake and Chip Lake Bigstone Cree Nation.
Based on the need to limit the social distancing and want to practice recommendations by the Medical Officer of health, all Bigstone Health Commission Buildings are closed to the public.
Bigstone Community Wellness 780-891-3777 or 780-891-8831
Bigstone Community Wellness services will continue including Mental Health and Addictions services between the hours of 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday. Appointments with staff will be delivered by phone and videoconferencing where available. If you are feeling anxious or need any mental health, addictions, or Bigstone Community Wellness supports, please call the office to book an appointment.
Our services include:
- Mental Wellness Crisis Team
- Addictions Services
- Mental Health Services
- Suicide Prevention
- IRS-Indian Residential School Support
- Cultural Support
- Youth Worker
To access Bigstone Community Wellness please call 780-891-3777 or 780-891-8831 and we will direct your calls to the appropriate Bigstone Community Wellness staff member you wish to speak to. If clients are seeking Mental Health services outside our department they can also call the Alberta 24-hour Mental Health helpline at 1-877-303-2642. The Suicide Prevention Center is also available by calling 1-833-456-4566. Thank you, be safe, self isolate, and wash your hands to avoid the spread of COVID-19.
Medical Transportation/Referral 780-891-3018
Toll-Free Line: 1-800-727-7910
The offices remain open. To make an appointment please call the number listed above. Non-essential appointments are being asked to be postponed and rebooked for a later date. Only “Essential” appointments will be transported. Clients will be screened for any flu-like symptoms to maintain the safety of the drivers.
Community & Public Health (Wabasca): 780-891-2000
- Not accepting walk-ins at this time.
- Will be providing immunizations by appointment only.
- Immunizations for infants will be top priority. Trimester checks will be done through teleconference or phone. Staff will be contacting clients.
- Postnatal visits for mothers and newborns will be done by appointment only.
- Water testing for the community will continue to be done.
- Dietician consultation will be done via teleconference.
- Scheduled home visits will be implemented based on the acuity of the clients.
- As needed, home visits for self-sufficient, maintenance and chronic care clients; we are utilizing family support as well.
- Weekly check-in with our clients over the phone.
- Pre-screening should be done prior to home visits. We are following the AHS script and respiratory illness algorithm. Proper PPE will be used while on home visits for the safety of the clients and staff.
- Medication and incontinence deliveries are still ongoing; Staff are doing precautionary measures such as dropping it off on the doorstep, or a family member picking up the medications.
- Homemaking services are also ongoing for prioritized clients (clients who are not self-sufficient and does not have family support at all).
- Foot care services will be case-to-case basis.
- Home care is still open for services to every client when needed, as long as home care staff follow the pre-screening process before doing home visits.
NIHB (Bigstone Health Benefits) Edmonton Office: 780-341-2777/Toll-Free: 1-866-891-9719
- Vision Care: 780-341-2780
- Dental: 780-481-4261
- Pharmacy and Medical Supplies: 780-237-8738 & 780-237-9348
- Mental Health: 780-341-2783
- NIHB Supervisor: 780-341-2783
Hours of Operation:
- Current hours for all benefits are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Due to staff shortage, we have had to shorten the hours of operation to maintain operations.
NOTE: Due to some drug shortages from manufacturers, some prescriptions may be limited at this time.
Calling Lake Health Centre: 1-780-331-3810
The office is closed to the public
All services are being provided at this time and include immunizations and home care.
We are encouraging community members to contact us by telephone,
Wabasca Medical Clinic:
- Edmonton: 780-509-0235
- Wabasca: 780-891-3839
Nurse Practitioner (Wabasca) will be doing all patient appointments by phone from home 11:00 – 18:30 (half hour bookings).
Staff remain in clinic Monday to Friday 0830 am to 4:30 to answer phones and direct patients. Doors locked. No patients in clinic with the exception of Naloxone Kit and Glasses pick-ups providing patients fall within criteria (NO travel, NO symptoms).
– Optical dept. closed
– Dental dept. closed
– Dr. Seal and Dr. Salvaterra coming to clinic and working their regular hours (Mon to Fri) and are experiencing high call volumes. All appointments are through phone or video appointments with the exception of patients deemed to need in person care by either physician. In these instances, the physicians or staff are COVID screening patients over the phone prior to them coming in to the clinic. No patients are in waiting room/going straight to patient rooms. All precautions done at direction of physicians. Proper health hygiene at all times. NO WALK INS.
Bigstone Dental and Orthodontics: 780-891-2722
· Both offices are closed due the mandatory order by their respective Association.
Bigstone Business Services: 780-891-2573
Current Hours of operation: 10:00 am to 3:30 pm and closed for a half hour lunch break
Service Alberta Updates
The Registrar of Motor Vehicles has extended the expiration of all Alberta motor vehicle documents until May 15, 2020. This will include: Driver’s licences, vehicle registrations, validation tabs, permits or any other vehicle document prescribed by the regulation.
Service Alberta will be also developing a poster that agents can display on doors to address how Albertans can get Health Care Coverage without coming into our offices.
New Albertans can continue to use their existing driver’s licences from other jurisdictions for up to 90 days.
Bigstone Pharmacy Ltd.: 780-891-2750
In order to support efforts in containing the spread of COVID-19, and in keeping the best interest and health of the community and our staff members, Bigstone Pharmacy will have
RESTRICTED ACCESS TO PERSONS COMING INSIDE THE PHARMACY
· A staff member will help you with dropping off and picking up your prescription outside the pharmacy doors
· Due to supplier restrictions, we can only accommodate 30 day refills ONLY at this time
· If you are feeling sick, please stay home and arrange for someone to pick-up/drop off your prescription. Delivery of prescriptions will be available to those who require it.
· If you have any questions or concerns in regard to COVID-19, or experiencing any symptoms, please visit alberta.ca or call 811
Bigstone Lot 25 Corp: 780-891-2000
Current operations are continuing although we have closed the office but staff are available via email and telephone
Bigstone Optical Ltd. Edmonton and Wabasca operations:
Closed as of March 18, 2020 based on Association of Optometrists and GOA.
Medicine Circle Pharmacy Edmonton: 780-509-0230
Current Hours of Operation: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Kee Wee Tin Nok Transport LTD./ Bigstone Medical Transport LTD
Daily operations continue and we are in communication with NIHB region on a daily basis and receiving further recommendation and ongoing information.